The Church of Agios Spyridon
This church is located on the Square of Agios Spyridon in Vathi, the capital of Samos.
In this church the decision to unite Samos with the rest of Greece was taken, that is whhy it is of an historic importance.
On 12th of December the church commemorates the feast of Saint Spyridon.
The Monastery of Panagia Spilianis
It is situated in the village of Phythagorio, in the southern part of the island.
Its acceptation is Monastery of the Virgin of the Grotto.
The Monastery of Panagia Vrontiani
Samos' oldest monastery was founded in 1476 and refurbished many times: first in 1566, then in 1702 and in 1960.
Located in the western part of Samos, near the village of Vourliotes, it is surrounded by a dense forest.
This monastery is famed for its noble icons and frescoes and for its gorgeous iconostasis.
The Monastery of Zoodohou Pigi
The Monastery of Zoodohou Pigi (“The Source of Life”) is situated on Mount Rampaidoni, a wooded area, to the east of the village Vlamari. Its foundation was during the 19th century. From the outside the main church has the shape of a crucifix and its interior is marvellously decorated.
Brought from and ancient site in Asia Minor, four ancient columns have been inserted in the church.
The Monastery Timiou Stavrou
The monastery “Holy Cross” is situated in the east-central part of the island. It is one of the oldest monasteries of Samos. First built in 1582, the monastery took its present form in 1838. A big three-aisled basilica with a round dome is the main church. Its north aisle is dedicated to the Well of Life, the middle aisle to the Holy Cross and the south aisle to Saint John the Baptist.
In the church there is a superb iconostasis, a gorgeous pulpit and a beautiful bishop’s throne.
Among the collection of religious relicts of the monastery house's library there are books, manuscripts and vessels.
On 14th of September the monastery's feast is celebrated and welcomes every inhabitant of Samos.
Profitis Ilias monastery on Samos
At an altitude of 210 meters and 3 km to the southeast of Karlovasi, there is the Monastery Profitis Ilias. The church of the monastery was built in 1739 by the monk Grigorios. It replaced a small chapel and few chambers that existed in former times at that place. The Monastery's wall paintings are beautiful, moreover it has many ecclesiastical utensils and a wooden carved icon-screen. To get to this monastery, be aware that there is a moderate trekking path that leads to the Monastery.